Do you cringe at the overused term EXPERT? I used to. I thought it was the most imposing full of yourself term in marketing until I learned that there was a way to be purposefully "full of yourself" to solve the problems of the audience I deeply cared about.
This shift helped me realize that selling is not something we do to our audience but something we do for our audience. This shift helped me realize that selling is not something we do to our audience but something we do for our audience. This re-frame allowed me to finally position myself in the eyes of my audience and had I not done that would it have cost me my business.
The top secret implemented by successful entrepreneurs is that they master the art of Storytelling and most important develop their own positioning Story that allows people to trust in them. So how are you going to reach out to your chosen audience without sounding like a car salesman or a local parish priest or worst of all a politician?
Remember the saying: "If you don't want to preach put a story in your speech"! Well, let me share with you the top 5 Tips to developing your Positioning Story.
1) Passion: Choose a subject about which you have deep passion. Usually it's the thing on which you spend most of your time.
2) Pain: Is there a subject that became a primary focus for you because of a big problem in your life and you resolved it by going on a quest of finding answers?
3) Practice: Select a topic you are willing to practice day and night to perfect. Choose a subject that would not feel like work.
4) Personality: Choose a subject that fits your personality type or core Brand Archetype.
5) Profitability: Make sure your subject is profitable. And last but not least, get the journal out and answer the questions.
Once you have completed the exercise, you will have the core themes of your brand positioning Story.